I’m a post doc in the Language Acquisition group at CASTL, in the subproject
VIA (Variation in the Input in Acquisition).
• Acquisition of object shift
(w/Merete Anderssen & Yulia Rodina)
• Acquisition of finiteness
• Acquisition of embedded wh-questions
• Interpretation of embedded V2
(w/Marit Westergaard & Tom Roeper)
• Acquisition of relative clauses
(w/Irene Franco and Marit Westergaard)
We are also in the final stages of compiling a proceedings volume
from the workshop Optionality
in the Input: Childrens Acquisition of Variable Word Order (held
at GLOW XXX in Tromsø in 2007), to be published with Springer Verlag.
Comparative syntax, (Scandinavian) dialect syntax, verb placement, the
nature of movement.
In October, 2007 I finished my dissertation Order
and Structure in Embedded Clauses in Northern Norwegian.
You can download it here.
My dissertation focusses on verb placement in embedded clauses in (dialects
of) Norwegian and other Scandinavian languages (V2 vs. ‘V-to-I’
vs. no verb movement). I’m still working on this topic, and Im
currently exploring copying and partial deletion as a phrasal movement
alternative to remnant movement. Another current interest is the nature
of movement paths.
Temporary link to the abstract booklet for Verb movement: Its nature, triggers and effects.
I’m affiliated with CASTL,
Center for Advanced Study in Theoretical Linguistics. I’m also affiliated
with NORMS, Nordic center
of Excellence in Microcomparative Syntax, as well as the
ScanDiaSyn project, investigating syntactic variation across the Scandinavian
I'm the leader of the NORMS thematic group The
Syntax of the Left Periphery, which investigates left periphery
phenomena across the Scandinavian languages/dialects.
I'm also the leader of the Tromsø group in the network N'CLAV (Nordic Collaboration on Language Variation Studies).
Work in progress (papers to appear, submitted, in preparation)
• Subject positions and their interaction
with verb movement. Studia Linguistica 63.3: 1-31, 2009. [a previous
version of the paper is available on LingBuzz]
• On the distribution and illocution of V2 in Scandinavian that-clauses. (Joint with Anna-Lena Wiklund, Gunnar Hrafn Hrafnbjargarson, and Þorbjörg Hróarsdóttir). Lingua 119.12: 1914-1938, 2009. [a previous
version of the paper is available on LingBuzz; an In Press version is available online on the Lingua website.]
• ‘On variation in Faroese verb placement.’ (Joint with Piotr Garbacz, Caroline Heycock, and Gunnar Hrafn Hrafnbjargarson). Nordlyd 36.2: NORMS Papers on Faroese (Tromsø University Working Papers on Language and Linguistics), 78-102, 2009.
• ‘A note on the punctuated nature of movement paths.’ (Joint with Klaus Abels). In Jordi Fortuny and Ángel Gallego (eds.) Catalan Journal of Linguistics 8: Spelling Out Universal Grammar, pp. 19-40. 2009.
• ‘The acquisition of apparent optionality: Word order
in subject and object shift constructions in Norwegian.’ (Joint with Merete Anderssen, Yulia Rodina, and Marit Westergaard).
To appear in Merete Anderssen, Kristine Bentzen, and Marit Westergaard (eds.) Optionality in the Input (Proceedings from the GLOW workshop ‘Optionality in the Input: Children’s Acquisition of Variable Word Order’ in Tromsø 2007), Springer Verlag.
• ‘From a V2 grammar to no verb movement: A step-wise approach.’ (Joint with Þorbjörg Hróarsdóttir). To appear in Universals and Variation (Proceedings of the Seventh GLOW in Asia).
• Nordlyd 36.2: NORMS Papers on Faroese (Tromsø University Working Papers on Language and Linguistics), 2009, co-edited with Peter Svenonius, Jógvan í Lon Jacobsen, Janne Bondi Johannessen, Caroline Heycock, Jeffrey K. Parrott, Tania E. Strahan, and Øystein Alexander Vangsnes.
• Variation in the Input: Studies in the Acquisition of Word Order, co-edited with Merete Anderssen and Marit Westergaard. 2010, Springer Verlag.
• ‘Kronoby revisited: Verb movement
in embedded non-V2 contexts in Northern Ostrobothnian.’ To appear in Øystein
Alexander Vangsnes, Gunnar Hrafn Hrafnbjargarson, and Christine Bjerkan
Østbø (eds.) Nordlyd 35: Solf Proceedings (Tromsø
Working Papers in Language and Linguistics).
• ‘Are movement paths punctuated or uniform?’ (Joint with Klaus Abels). To appear in Artemis Alexiadou, Tibor Kiss, and Gereon Müller (eds.) Local Modelling of Non-Local Dependencies in Syntax, Linguistische Arbeiten, Niemeyer.
• Studies in Övdalian Syntax, co-edited with Henrik Rosenkvist.
To appear in 2011, John Benjamins.
• ‘The acquisition of object shift and focus in Norwegian: An interface phenomenon.’ (Joint with Merete Anderssen and Yulia Rodina). Submitted.
• ‘V-to-T as vP-to-SpecTP.’ In preparation.
• ‘Verb movement in embedded clauses in Northern Norwegian.’ In preparation.
• ‘The syntax-morphology interface: Finiteness and word order in English and Norwegian child language.’ (Joint with Marit Westergaard). In preparation.
• Talk on the acquisition of finiteness (title TBD) (Joint with Marit Westergaard) at a Finiteness workshop at NTNU in Trondheim, Norway, May 6-7, 2010.
• Talk on verb placement in Scandinavian (title TBD) (Joint with Piotr Garbacz and Caroline Heycock) at the NORMS Closing Seminar in Tromsø, Norway, June 10, 2010.
• ‘The acquisition of Object Shift: A challenge at the syntax-pragmatics interface,’ Information Structure in Language Acquisition at (Joint with Merete Anderssen and Yulia Rodina) at the workshop DGfS 32 (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Sprachwissenschaft), at the Humboldt University, Berlin, February 23-26, 2010.
• ‘Word order and finiteness in English and Norwegian child language: Parameters vs. cues,’ (Joint with Marit Westergaard) at BUCLD 34 (Boston University Conference on Language Development), Boston, Mass., November 6-8, 2009.
• ‘Embedded root phenomena in Scandinavian and English: The (ir)relevance of assertion and presupposition,’ invited guest talk at University of Massachusetts, Amherst, November 3, 2009.
‘The Acquisition of Focus: The case of object shift,’ (Joint with Merete Anderssen and Yulia Rodina), at Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition (GALA), Lisbon, Portugal, September 9-11, 2009.
‘Embedded root phenomena, assertion, presupposition, and main point of utterance,’ invited talk at the workshop on Root Phenomena, Centre for General Linguistics (ZAS), Berlin, Germany, September 2-4, 2009.
• ‘The development of syntax in micro-Scandinavians: Object Shift in Norwegian child language,’ (Joint with Merete Anderssen and Yulia Rodina), at The 2009 Grand Meeting for the Network for Scandinavian Dialect Syntax, Älvdalen, Sweden, August 25-29, 2009.
Step-wise loss of verb movement,’ (joint with Þorbjörg Hróarsdóttir) at The Comparative Germanic Syntax Workshop 24, Brussels, Belgium, May 28-29, 2009.
From a V2 grammar to no verb movement: A step-wise approach,’ (joint with Þorbjörg Hróarsdóttir) at The 7th GLOW in Asia, Hyderabad, India, February 25-27, 2009.
Teaching previous terms
My profile in Frida (Forskningsresultater, informasjon og dokumentasjon av vitenskapelige aktiviteter)